Sunday, September 14, 2014

My first 5K

Today I did something that I couldn't have imagined a year ago: I did a 5K. A year ago, walking 3.1 miles was impossible, and voluntarily signing up for a 5K was inconceivable.

I have to send a shout-out to my Massachusetts bariatric support group on Facebook and the women who convinced me, a month after my surgery this winter, to sign up for the Diva Dash 5K fun run/obstacle course. As I said in my last post, I didn't do the Diva Dash last weekend, opting instead to do my first 5K today with my husband — but without the encouragement this winter, I never would have thought of doing a 5K. Thanks, ladies!

This morning, as Paul and I people-watched while waiting for the start, I realized something amazing: I didn't feel like an imposter, and I didn't feel out of place. I felt like I belonged among all these people setting out to walk, run and walk/run 3.1 miles.

As usual, I worked to create reasonable expectations. If I walked the whole way, I would have counted that as a success. That I was able, physically and emotionally, to alternate walking and running is an awesome success. I'm a little stiff, and I had some asthma coughing afterwards, but I DID IT!! And I feel proud, happy and very grateful for where I am in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment